- This event has passed.
Disaster Risk Reduction Mainstreaming into Development
June 4, 2018 - June 8, 2018| $800
Disaster risk within a country has its roots in development decisions that do not adequately address disaster concerns, and the resulting disasters are coming at the cost of development and poverty reduction. By not considering disaster risk in development planning, new risks could be unintentionally created or existing ones aggravated through investments in infrastructure and public services, and through improper planning and regulation.
This course has been developed to enhance the capacity of government officials, development partners and stakeholders involved in development planning to mainstream disaster risk reduction into development activities and practices.
USD 800 per participant Exclusive of 16% VAT where Applicable
The course is particularly useful for government officials responsible for disaster risk reduction policy and planning, national development planning, land-use planning, local development or finance; representatives of national forums on the Millennium Development Goals; and related agencies.
The course will also benefit development professionals from development agencies (e.g., UN agencies, bilateral and multilateral agencies and nongovernmental organizations), working closely with government agencies on issues related to development policy, planning, and programs.
The goal of the course is to enhance understanding of mainstreaming disaster risk reduction (DRR) into the development planning processes through building the capacities of government officials, development partners, and stakeholders to implement disaster resilient development.
The specific objectives of the course include:
- Increasing awareness among participants on the need to mainstream disaster risk reduction into the development planning processes
- Enhancing the capacity of participants on ‘how to’ mainstream disaster risk reduction concerns into the national, sub-national, and sectoral development planning processes
- Application of GIS and RS in disaster risk reduction
- Providing a platform for experience sharing, discussion and interactive professional exchange on mainstreaming disaster reduction in development
The course will be delivered through three modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to disaster risk reduction
- Module 2: Mainstreaming disaster risk reduction into the development planning process
- Module 3: Technological Advancements and Disaster Risk Reduction
- Module 4: Application of Risk Information for Risk Reduction Planning
- Module 5: Enabling environment for mainstreaming
Click here to REGISTER